What is the Better Energy Warmer Homes Scheme?
The Better Energy Warmer Homes Scheme is a nationwide scheme available to homeowners who are in receipt of certain social welfare benefits.
The Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland (SEAI), through a registered contractor like Leitrim Warmer Homes, will provide FREE energy efficiency upgrades to your home. The type of energy upgrade will depend on the structure of your house. In other words, the type of insulation work carried out will depend on how your house was constructed and how much existing insulation it has. Most houses are suitable for some insulation work to be carried out. A surveyor, employed by the SEAI, will determine the suitability of your house for particular energy efficiency measures.
The SEAI FREE energy efficiency upgrades may include any or all of the following:
- Attic insulation
- Cavity Wall Insulation / External Wall Insulation / Internal Wall Insulation
- Tank and Pipes Insulation
- Hot Cylinder Jackets
- 4 Low Energy LED Light Bulbs
- Energy Advice through Leitrim Warmer Homes
- Building Energy Rating Certificate (BER)
- Heating upgrades and/or heating control upgrade on a case-by-case basis, where there is no heating system or where the house has a very inefficient heating system.
- Replacement windows will be considered on a case-by-case basis where existing windows are single-glazed. Walls must be insulated at the same time in order for the work on the windows to be considered.
Does “free” Insulation really mean “free” Insulation?
Yes. The scheme is entirely free to those who qualify. There are no charges or fees to apply or to have your home surveyed to see what works are necessary and/or suitable. The actual work on your home is done without any cost to you. However, if any remedial work is required to complete the work, this is not covered under the scheme and the cost is carried by the home owner.
How do I know if I am eligible for Free insulation and energy efficiency upgrades under the Better Energy Warmer Homes Scheme?
You must satisfy the following 5 criteria before you are able to avail of free energy measures in your home.
- Your home must have been built and occupied before January 1st, 2006.
- You must own and occupy your home. It must be your main residence.
- Your house must be suitable for the specific work that is covered under the scheme.
- You have not received works previously under the scheme.
- You must be receiving ONE of the following benefits.
- Fuel allowance as part of the National Fuel Scheme.
- Job Seekers Allowance for over six months and have a child under seven years of age.
- Working Family Payment.
- One-Parent Family Payment.
- Domiciliary Care Allowance.
- Carers Allowance and live with the person you are caring for.
In the future, the SEAI may re-consider homes for further work that they have covered under the scheme in the past. At the time of writing this is not the case.
Please check with us at Leitrim Warmer Homes on 071 96 40771 if you have had work done previously under the scheme and would like further upgrades.
I’m interested in energy upgrades but I don’t qualify for the Better Energy Warmer Homes Scheme?
If your house was built and occupied before 2006 and you are not eligible to apply for the Better Energy Warmer Homes Scheme, you may be eligible for grant funding which gives you a financial contribution towards the cost of the work. Please contact us on 07196 40771 for further information or read about SEAI grants for home insulation here.
Who will do the work?
The work will be completed by Leitrim Warmer Homes.
How can I guarantee the quality of the work?
We are a registered contractor for the SEAI. We are independently audited to ensure that our work is completed to the highest standards. We are a non-profit, community-based organisation who is committed to improving the quality of life for all our customers, which means that our customers can be assured of the quality of our work.
How long will I have to wait for the work to be done?
Depending on when you apply and what work is approved for your home, it may take between 6 and 12 months for the insulation work to be carried out. The sooner you send in your application, the sooner it can be processed and the work scheduled.
How do I apply for free insulation under the Better Energy Warmer Homes Scheme?
Call us at Leitrim Warmer Homes on 07196 40771. We will send you an application pack which includes the application form, further information on your eligibility and the documents you will need to provide with your application and the terms and conditions of the scheme.